The Benefits of LED Backlight: A Comprehensive Guide
In the electronics industry, a backlight is a form of lighting, often used in android lcd display. The difference between the backlight and front light is that the backlight is shining from the side or behind, while the front light is shining from the front as the name implies.
LED backlight LCD display refers to the use of LED (light-emitting diode) as the backlight of the LCD screen. LED backlight display technology LCD, which can expand the color gamut of LCD to 105% of NTSC standard, can basically reproduce most of the natural scenes observed by people.
What is an LED backlight?
LED backlight refers to the use of LED (Light Emitting Diode) as the backlight of an LCD display. The LED backlight display is just that the backlight of the liquid crystal display has transitioned from the traditional CCFL cold light tube (similar to fluorescent lamp) to LED (light emitting diode).
The imaging principle of the liquid crystal can be simply understood as that the external voltage is applied to deflect the liquid crystal molecules, which blocks the transparency of the light emitted by the backlight like a gate, and then projects the light into color filters of different colors to form images.
Compared with the traditional CCFL (cold cathode tube) backlight, LED has the characteristics of low power consumption, low calorific value, high brightness, and long life, and is expected to completely replace the traditional backlight system in recent years.
LED backlight can enhance the color performance of LCD displays. LED light is generated by three separate LEDs, providing a color spectrum that closely matches the LCD pixel color filter itself.
The LCD is a non-luminescent display device, which needs a backlight source to achieve the display function. The performance of the backlight will directly affect the image quality of the LCD. The cost of the backlight accounts for 3-5% of the LCD module, and the power consumption accounts for 75% of the module. It can be said to be a very important part of the LCD module. components. High-definition and large-size LCDs must be matched with high-performance backlight technology.
Therefore, while the LCD industry is striving to open up new application fields, high-performance backlight technology (such as high brightness, low cost, and low power consumption) Thinning, thinning, etc.) also plays the role of the hero behind the scenes.
Composition of light source: It is mainly composed of a light source, light guide plate, optical diaphragm, plastic frame, and so on. The backlight has the characteristics of high brightness, long life, and uniform light emission. At present, there are mainly three types of backlight sources: EL, CCFL, and LED.
According to the location of the light source, they are divided into side-lit and direct-lit. With the continuous development of LCD modules in the direction of brighter, lighter, and thinner, edge-lit CCFL backlights have become the mainstream of backlight development.
Advantages Of LED Backlight
1. Long service life of led backlight display. In general, led bulbs have a very long life compared with other ordinary lamps, which can last more than 10 years.
2. LED is a kind of planar light source, the most basic luminous unit is a 3~5mm side length square package, very easy to combine together into a given area of surface light, with good brightness uniformity, the planar structure makes the LED has a stable internal structure, seismic performance is excellent. If used as the backlight of LCD TV, the auxiliary optical components needed can be made very simple and the screen brightness uniformity is better.
3. The flickering frequency of the traditional CCFL lamp is low, which may generate a flickering image in the performance of a dynamic scene. The LED backlight can flexibly adjust the luminous frequency, and the frequency is much higher than that of CCFL.
4. LED brightness adjustment range is large, and LED backlight LCD display can adapt to a variety of states of the environment, unlike the minimum brightness of CCFL there is a threshold, general energy-saving lamps if in the state of frequent opening and closing is very easy to break, and LED bulbs can adapt to this high state of the work environment.
5. The production of an led backlight display, using the world’s top lighting production technology, is a light source for the surface light source, this light source can increase the luminous surface, very close to people’s eyes.
6. There is no mercury, lead, or other harmful substances in the led backlight, which is environmentally friendly.
7. The temperature of the LED backlight is generally stipulated to be -20°C~80°C.
8. LED USES a low-voltage power supply of 5-24v, which does not need high voltage. It is very safe, and the design of the power supply module is quite simple.
9. LED backlight display has a better color gamut and its color expression is better than CCFL backlight LCD display; Color: red/green/blue/yellow/white/orange/purple/pink.
10. LED can use red, green, and blue to emit light independently, which is easy to accurately control and display color characteristics.
11. The white balance of the LED backlight LCD display can ensure overall contrast and brightness.