In recent years, Type-C has attracted much attention due to its “fast, strong and small” characteristics. Now more and more products begin to adopt Type-C interfaces, and in the future, Type-C will also unify the world of interfaces. So, what exactly is this Type-C?
What is Type-C?
The full name is USB Type-C interface, which is one of USB interface.
After the introduction of USB Type-C in 2014, it was first applied to Nokia N1 tablet at the end of the year, and then to Google Chromebook Pixel at the beginning of 2015, but it was really well known to the public, with the help of the popularity of Apple’s ultra-thin Macbook.
Type-C has the following advantages:
(1) Thin design. The size of the interface socket is about 8.3mm × 2.5mm, which is 1/3 of the standard USB Type-A interface size.
(2) Supports “forward and reverse insertion”. The front and back sides of the Type-C interface are the same, supporting the “front and back plug” function that can be inserted from both sides, solving the problem of “USB always can not be plugged”, and can withstand 10 thousand times of repeated plug and pull.
(3) The maximum data transmission speed can reach 10Gbit/s, which is the USB3.1 standard.
(4) USB Type-C supports USB PD protocol (I .e. power transmission protocol), which can realize higher voltage and current, and the transmission power can reach up to 100 watts, and can freely change the direction of power transmission. Therefore, USB Type-C can realize fast charging and Bidirectional charging. For example, users can not only use laptops to charge mobile devices, but also use other devices or mobile power sources to charge laptops.
(5) Great scalability. In order to expand the integration of various transmission specifications, Type-C has developed Alternate Modes to support, including Displayport for high-speed image transmission, MHL for multimedia transmission of mobile devices, as well as the high-speed transmission interface Thunderbolt 3 led by Intel and HDMI led by the ultra-high-definition image transmission interface.
USB Type-C can transmit audio and video signals and expand to various audio and video output interfaces, such as HDMI, DVI, VGA interfaces, and even achieve 4K resolution expansion.
In general, USB Type-C has a slim design, supports forward and reverse insertion, and has a faster transmission rate. One line can integrate charging, data transmission and audio and video transmission functions.
USB interface type
If there is Type-C, there must be Type-A and Type-B. Here is A brief introduction to other members of the USB interface family and their actual uses.
Relationship between USB Type-C and USB3.1:
At present, many people are vague about the boundary between the two words USB3.1 and Type-C, because they appear at similar times, so people mistakenly believe that they are the same concept, but in fact they are not.
USB3.1 is a USB transmission standard introduced in 2013 and formulated by the USB-IF Association. At present, there are mainly the following USB standards, and their main difference lies in the transmission speed:
It should be noted here that most people are not sure about USB3.1 Gen1 and USB3.1 Gen2. The biggest difference between them is the difference in transmission rate. The maximum transmission rate of USB3.1 Gen1 can reach the theoretical bandwidth of 5Gb/s, the maximum transmission rate of USB3.1 Gen2 can reach the theoretical bandwidth of 10Gb/s. In fact, the so-called USB 3.1 Gen 1 is the original USB 3.0, while USB 3.1 Gen2 is the real USB 3.1. Because the compatibility solution of Gen2 standard USB3.1 is not mature and the price is relatively high, most manufacturers now claim that they only use USB3.1 Gen1, this is the USB 3.0 you know before.
Through the introduction of USB3.1, we can find that USB3.1 and USB Type-C are two concepts. USB 3.1 is a transmission standard, while USB Type-C is an interface form (Type). Therefore, USB 3.1 standard can support USB Type A,USB Type B(Micro USB) and the latest USB Type-C interface Type. The USB Type-C interface can also adopt USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1 and other transmission standards.
Relationship between USB Type-C and USB 3.2
USB 3.2 is the latest USB transmission standard released by the USB-IF organization in September 2017. Officially, USB 3.2 is an incremental update, which is supplemented on the basis of USB 3.1 and is an upgraded version of USB 3.1. USB 3.2 still adopts SuperSpeed US-layer data rate and coding technology. Compared with USB 3.1, the change of USB 3.2 is that it supports seamless switching between single-channel and dual-channel between host devices and peripherals, using dual-channel technology, the transmission rate can be doubled to a maximum transmission rate of 20Gbps.
In order to speed up the coexistence of multiple USB interface types, USB-IF listed Type-C as the only recommended interface when formulating the USB 3.2 standard.
Relationship between USB Type-C and Thunderbolt Thunder 3
Thunderbolt is a technology launched by Apple in deep cooperation with Intel. It combines traditional PCIE data transmission technology and DisplayPort display technology. The latest Thunderbolt 3 integrates data transmission, video output and charging into a small interface. The maximum bandwidth of the interface can reach 40 Gb/s, which is 8 times that of USB3.0 and 4 times that of usb3.1. Intel changed the physical interface of Thunder 3 from the previous mini DP to USB Type C, further consolidating the long-cherished wish of USB Type C to unify the interfaces of PC and mobile devices.
USB Type-C Practical application
At present, the application fields with the largest usage of USB Type-C are concentrated on smart phones, tablets and laptops, while in the future USB Type-C will cover mobile phones, PCs and peripherals, digital headset, VR/AR, flat panel TV, automobile, pan-Internet of Things terminal and other fields. So, what changes will Type-C bring to our daily life?
(1) One line integrates the functions of charging, data transmission and audio and video transmission to end the trouble of multi-wire and multi-interface. Many people will have such troubles. There is always a pile of messy ground wires on the table. There are so many interfaces on the monitor that they often don’t know which one to plug in. The interfaces on the computer are often not enough, you have to pull the mouse out by inserting a USB flash drive.
The Type-C interface has the functions of charging, data transmission and audio and video transmission, thus the power interface, USB interface, DP interface, HDMI interface, VGA interfaces and so on can be uniformly carried by a Type-C interface. One line can replace a pile of lines such as charging lines and signal transmission lines, which can be used for charging, listening to songs, watching videos, data transmission, etc. One line solves all problems and will never become “Spider-Man”.
In 2015, for the first time, Apple’s new MacBook unified the power interface, USB interface, DP interface, HDMI interface and VGA interface with a USB Type-C on a notebook computer, this is the first time that USB Type-C technology has been applied to consumer laptops.
(2) Improve office efficiency. In the past, USB interface had directional problems, and the problem of incorrect insertion often occurred, which not only affected the sense of use but also wasted time; It took a long time to transfer a slightly larger file, the emergence of Type-C accelerates everything.
Type-C supports forward and backward insertion. In addition, large files can be copied at a speed of 10Gbit/s, greatly improving office efficiency.
(3) Fast charging. In the past, I envied others for “charging for 5 minutes and talking for 2 hours”. Now, under the USB PD power transmission protocol, the power supply parameter of Type-C can be extended to the output voltage of 20V, the maximum output current is 5A, providing power transmission of up to 100W, which can improve the charging speed.
Although many data transmission interfaces including Type-A are still used by most consumers, some Macbook users must match various conversion lines if they want to expand their use. However, there is no doubt that the Type-C interface, which is highly praised by many industry giants, will become the mainstream in the future.
One more thing
If you need more information, please send us a message